Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to School and Daddy Daycare...





Reluctantly, I went back to school this year. I know that part of me missed it, but I also felt a commitment to go back. (As time passes now I think I have adopted the concept of thinking up ways to get fired... that aren't illegal.) I like a lot of it, but I hate the politics, waste and misuse of education.
I have a hard time telling people to vote for a levy that many cannot afford to pay for. School funding sucks and I don't think it should fall completely onto the shoulders of the district residents. I get the whole "free and blah blah education" that was started so many years ago... but as time moves, so should the faulty traditions we hold onto.
I know that the educational system is a waste hole for money. Even districts that are thin to begin with need to revamp how they handle things in order to cut spending. Why, in this day and age, would we still mail home report cards? Why do we continue to purchase books when many schools make the student purchase the paperback books from the store? And why do people think if your only saving a hundred dollars here or a thousand dollars there that it isn't enough to justify the change.
As to the misuse... there are plenty of teachers who are space wasters. They are taking up a space on the payroll and not delivering as they should to the kids. They are the ones who are more worried about their salaries and the levy passing then trying to find a way to get to the kids in their classroom. If you are a selfish individual, teaching is not for you. Get up and get out and find someone fresh outta college, or wanting to return to the classroom or wanting to make the classroom their new home.
I digress.
So since Eric will not let Bryce go to Ridgepointe and I will not let someone other than our family watch him in our home... Eric is playing Daddy Daycare during the day and then I pick up after school and take the weekends. It is good in some ways, but to be honest it sucks.
Every year someone asks me why I don't have my masters yet (I am in a very small minority with this). My answer has always been I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up... so I haven't taken the time. I think I now need to find out what I am going to do when I grow up...

No comments: